Find the latest news about the Early Check research program and access our resources for the media.
Baby First at UNC to Receive Gene Therapy for SMA, Thanks to Early Check Newborn Screening
UNC Health and UNC School of Medicine NewsroomJuly 2021
Research Triangle study may help save children's lives
Three Babies with Spinal Muscular Atrophy Have Bright Futures Thanks in Part to North Carolina’s Early Check Program
New Paper: A Voluntary Statewide Newborn Screening Pilot for SMA: Results from Early Check
International Journal of Neonatal ScreeningMarch 2021
NC study offers new parents head start in identifying rare diseases
New Paper Describes Method for Detecting Fragile X
Fragile X Added to Newborn Screening in North Carolina Through New Study
Fragile X News TodayOctober 2018
You can get your baby tested for two rare genetic disorders — for free
The News & ObserverOctober 2018
New NC-Based Study to Advance Research Through Free and Expanded Health Screening for Newborn Babies
RTI InternationalOctober 2018
Generating Evidence to Inform Newborn Screening for Rare Disorders
Presentation at Duke Genomic and Precision Medicine ForumApril 2018
CTSA Program Investigators Collaborate to Enhance Newborn Screening
National Institutes of HealthJune 2017
Advancing Research through Expanded Newborn Screening
RTI InternationalJanuary 2017
Rationale and Progress Toward a Voluntary Newborn Screening Program
Newborn Screening Translational Research Network MeetingSeptember 2015
- Katerina S. Kucera, Jennifer L. Taylor, Veronica R. Robles, Kristin Clinard, Brooke Migliore, Beth Lincoln Boyea, Katherine C. Okoniewski, Martin Duparc, Catherine W. Rehder, Scott M. Shone, Zheng Fan, Melissa Raspa, Holly L. Peay, Anne C. Wheeler, Cynthia M. Powell, Donald B. Bailey, Jr. and Lisa M. Gehtland. A Voluntary Statewide Newborn Screening Pilot for Spinal Muscular Atrophy: Results from Early Check. International Journal of Neonatal Screening, 2021 Mar 21;7(1):20.
- Stacey Lee, Jennifer L. Taylor, Charles Redmond, Andrew G. Hadd, Jon A. Kemppainen, Brian C. Haynes, Scott Shone, Donald B. Bailey Jr., Gary J. Latham. Validation of Fragile X Screening in the Newborn Population Using a Fit-for-Purpose FMR1 PCR Assay System. The Journal of Molecular Diagnostics, Volume 22, Issue 3, March 2020, Pages 346-354
- Bailey, D. B., Berry-Kravis, E., Gane, L. W., Guarda, S., Hagerman, R., Powell, C. M., Tassone, F., & Wheeler, A. (2017). Fragile X newborn screening: lessons learned from a multisite screening study. Pediatrics, 139(Suppl 3), S216-S225.
- Bailey, D. B. & Gehtland, L. (2015). Newborn screening: Evolving challenges in an era of rapid discovery. JAMA, 313(15), 1511-1512.
- Paquin, R. S., Peay, H. L., Gehtland, L. M., Lewis, M., & Bailey, D. B. (2016). Parental intentions to enroll children in a voluntary expanded newborn screening program. Social Science & Medicine, 166, 17-24. Epub 2016 Jul 29.